(704) 895-8444

adorable dog on owner's lap
images/contact/happy-dog-smiling.jpg

Blog

Welcome to our blog, where you can find out more about our latest news!

Search Posts

Search and enjoy our pet news and articles.

Holiday Hazards For Pets: The Top 4 Items To Keep Out Of Reach

screenshot-docs.google.com-2022.12.20-00_30_07

‘Tis the season for holiday gatherings, beautiful decorations and delicious treats. With all of these festive sights, smells and sounds around you, it's easy to forget that your furry friends are also at risk of danger during the holidays. 

 

Our favorite treats, festive decor and plants could be dangerous to our pets. Here are some of the most common hazards your pet might encounter during the holidays:

 

#1. Tinsel And Ribbons

Tinsel and ribbons are popular Christmas decorations, but they can be very dangerous to pets. Ingesting these decorations can cause a linear foreign object to form in the intestine. Linear foreign objects are long and thin objects such as tinsel, ribbons, or string that can cause great discomfort if they get lodged in the gastrointestinal tract. In severe cases, tinsel ingestion may require surgery to remove the linear foreign object.

 

#2. Candles And Christmas Lights

Candles and Christmas lights can be a dangerous combination. If left unattended, they can start a fire. In addition to being a fire hazard, candles also pose a risk of burns if your pet knocks into one while playing around the Christmas tree.

Pets like chewing on Christmas lights and can become injured by the electrical cord or even swallow a small bulb. If your dog chews on the wire of a Christmas light and ingests it, theycould suffer from an intestinal perforation or suffer from shock.

Candles and Christmas lights should always be kept in places where pets cannot get them.

 

#3. Chocolate

Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that is toxic to dogs and cats. The amount of chocolate your pet needs to ingest for it to be dangerous depends on its size; generally, the smaller your pet, the more dangerous chocolate can be. 

Theobromine can cause vomiting, diarrhea and abnormal heart rhythms in animals. It also makes them very hyperactive and excitable, so much so that they may have seizures if they eat enough of it.

You should always keep chocolate out of the reach of your pet's reach because even a small amount can be harmful.

 

#4. Holiday Plants

Many holiday plants can be deadly if ingested by pets. These include:

 

  • Holly- The holly plant's brilliant green leaves and bright red berries convey joy, but these plants can cause vomiting and diarrhea if ingested by your pets.
  • Poinsettia- Poinsettias are a type of plant known for its vivid red leaves and are often associated with Christmas. However, ingestion can cause nausea and vomiting in your pet; if ingested in large quantities, it could even be deadly.
  • Mistletoe- Because of its toxicity, you should keep the mistletoe far out of reach from pets. After eating it, animals can become ill and have problems breathing; they may also go into a hallucinatory state that makes them act odd.

 

You should always keep your holiday plants out of your pet's reach and use them sparingly. If you suspect that your pet has consumed any part of a poisonous plant, contact your veterinarian immediately.

 

The Holidays Are Here, And Camp Wagging Tails Is The Place To Be!

We offer a safe, cage-free environment for your pet. Our boarding area includes two indoor and eight outdoor play areas for daycare guests, one of which is shaped like a bone. Our team will be happy to take care of your furry companion during the holidays.


Need a safe and fun place for your pet to stay during the holidays? Book your pet's boarding appointment now before we book up!

 

Welcome to Camp Wagging Tails!

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://campwaggingtails.com/

Image

Contact Information